When you are new to the world of Middle Eastern dance and searching for good music it can be overwhelming knowing where to start. There is a whole world of music out there for you, ranging from traditional orchestra to modern electronic fusions. We've got slow, emotive music; fast, heart-pumping beats and everything in between.
I encourage you to sample lots of different kinds of music, keep an open mind when the sounds are unfamiliar, and see what movements and emotions each song evokes.
When practicing at home you'll want to drill the moves you learned in class. But, make sure you also take time to play and explore free dancing to the music.
Below you will find a YouTube playlist with a huge range of different Middle Eastern music for you to explore. I've also posted the names of some albums in my collection that I enjoy and that would give a good foundation.
Click on the upper left icon to access the list of songs
Albums from my collection
- Belly Dance from Egypt by Bashir Al Abdel - Belly Dance Superstars Vol 1
- The Best of Hossam Ramzy by Hossam Ramzy
- Fire Dance by Brian Keane and Omar Faruk Tekbilek
- Immortal Egypt by Hossam Ramzy and Phil Thorton
- Layalie Zamen by Ashraf Zakarin
- Moroccan Spirit by Higher Octave Music
- Rough Guide to Belly Dance
- Whirling by Omar Faruk Tekbilek
Artists I like:
- Omar Faruk Tekbilek
- Hossam Ramzy